Cameroonian Pepper Soup is a very delightful goodness which is intensely flavoured with an exotic seed very popular in the preparation of pepper soups in Cameroon Called the ‘Njansang ‘ seed . Pepper soups are light soups , fresh and very delicious. Mostly recommended to convalescents.
This delicious goodness of a Soup is served throughout the Sub- Saharan Africa and it neighbouring countries. Each African country has its own method and recipe of this exotic soup.
In Cameroon, we have different types of pepper soups: we have got pepper soup cow tail and foot, Pepper soup goat meat , pepper soup fish you name it…
Pepper soups are very soothing especially when one is not feeling too well . Pepper soups can be serve as appetizers during parties. Pepper Soups are very easy to eat delicious and easy to digest.
Please click to this link and watch video of this recipe: https://youtu.be/mOvN4_FEtpQ
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 15 mins
Total time 25 mins
Course : Main
- A tbsp of ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-3 bouillon cubes
- 1 large diced onion
- A small bowl of basil, celery, leeks, parsley
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 mullet fish
- 40 njansang seeds (exotic seeds )
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- Habanero / scotch bonnet pepper
- Wash and cut the fish into 1.5 inch thick slices.
- Prepare your secret fish ingredients by putting them all in a food processor add a cup of water and give it a blend. The njansang seed has a very distinctive aroma and taste. Blend together with your njansang seed.
- Pour blended paste in a pot and as it simmers add your thick fish slices and add 3 – 4 cups of water and bring to boil
- Once it starts simmering garnish with stock cubes, salt bay leaves white pepper and habanero pepper
- Once the fish is done let it simmer for 5 more mins and then it will be ready to serve
- Pepper Soup is best served hot. I served mine with white boiled rice , you can serve with boiled ripe plantains , yam, potatoes or cassava.