This country style potato pottage is a very easy one pot meal. This is the real traditional way of preparing Irish potatoes, with palm oil and smoked fish. Modernity has transformed the old traditional method but sometimes we crave for the oldies. Today we have got varieties of hotpot recipes with a twist garnished with different vegetables and ingredients like capsicum , carrots etc to make it more colourful and spicy. The traditional method with palm oil is simple and easy to cook and taste so yummmmmm😋😋😋
Try this, your family will love it!!
Let’s get started
Author: Annuchka Queen
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 20 small size potato
- 1/2 cup palm oil
- I large diced onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cray fish
- 1 tbsp African curry powder
- 6 cups of water or pour water to be the same level as potatoes
- Pepper ( optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Maggie cubes or a tbsp of bouillon powder
- A hand full of washed diced bitter leaf ( vegetable)
- A bowl of smoked fish.
- Peel and wash your potatoes ,Onion and bitter leaf thoroughly.
- Wash your smoked fish thoroughly and keep aside.
- In a medium size pot, place your potato and pour water to the level of your potato add some salt and allow to simmer for 5 mins then add palm oil diced onion and smoked fish
- Let it cook for about 20 mins then when the potatoes is soft and your stock is thickening proceed by adding bitter leaf and crayfish and some African curry.
- When stiring at this stage, your cook spoon will smash some of the potatoes and you will the exact consistency you needed. If you prefer a bit watery add more water and cover to simmer for 5 mins.
- If you like some heat , add pepper and bring down as soon as it’s cooked.
- It’s always good to serve warm so allow to cold down for 5 mins and serve.
- Enjoy !
Leave comment below if you enjoy this recipe and if you have tried it. Thanks you and don’t forget to visit my YouTube channel and instagram.
One Comment Add yours